Resources – Shirley’s Articles For Reprint
Goal Setting Really Works!
Do you remember the last time you set a goal? Did you succeed? What was it about your goal that encouraged success or promoted failure? Were you aiming too high or too low? Why do we need to set goals?
Goal setting works. It is as simple as that, as long as you know how to do it right. Goal setting holds you accountable to your ambitions, and creates a stake in your own success. Ask yourself why you want to set a certain goal. Make sure that it is for the right reasons or you could be setting yourself up for failure.
How you approach goal setting varies for different people. It may be a to-do list, a journal or a conversation. To help you find the approach that inspires you to follow through, here are are some goal setting tips:
- Do not let obstacles get in your way and do not make excuses. Doing so may hurt you, but you are important and deserve to be successful.
- Tell people your goals. This will make you more accountable.
- Write down a list of the reasons for your goal. The longer the list, the more you know you want to succeed, and the better your chances of doing so.
- Use positive affirmations to start your day off right.
- Repeat your goals to yourself and do not self-sabotage by ‘forgetting’.
All articles are copyright © Shirley Taylor. All rights reserved. This information may not be distributed, sold, publicly presented, or used in any other manner, except as described here.
Permission to reprint all or part of any article in your magazine, e-zine, website, blog or organisation newsletter is granted, as long as:
- The entire credit line below is included*.
- The website link to shirleytaylor.com is clickable (live)**.
- You send a copy, PDF, or link of the work in which the article is used when published.
This credit line must be reprinted in its entirety to use any articles by Shirley Taylor:
* Credit line:
© 2013 Shirley Taylor.
Shirley Taylor is a recognised leading authority on business writing and communication skills. For almost 30 years she has presented keynotes and training programmes that help people and organisations boost communication skills and develop great relationships both orally and in writing. Shirley is bestselling author of 12 books, including Model Business Letters, Emails and Other Business Documents, which has sold half a million copies worldwide and has been translated into many languages. If you would like Shirley to speak at your next event, visit shirleytaylor.com.
** The above website link to shirleytaylor.com must be clickable to receive permission to reprint the article.