Do you remember the last time you set a goal? Did you succeed? What was it about your goal that encouraged success or promoted failure? Were you aiming too high or too low? Why do we need to set goals?
Goal setting works. It is as simple as that, as long as you know how to do it right. Goal setting holds you accountable to your ambitions, and creates a stake in your own success. Ask yourself why you want to set a certain goal. Make sure that it is for the right reasons or you could be setting yourself up for failure.
How you approach goal setting varies for different people. It may be a to-do list, a journal or a conversation. To help you find the approach that inspires you to follow through, here are are some goal setting tips:
- Do not let obstacles get in your way and do not make excuses. Doing so may hurt you, but you are important and deserve to be successful.
- Tell people your goals. This will make you more accountable.
- Write down a list of the reasons for your goal. The longer the list, the more you know you want to succeed, and the better your chances of doing so.
- Use positive affirmations to start your day off right.
- Repeat your goals to yourself and do not self-sabotage by ‘forgetting’.