Resources – Shirley’s Articles For Reprint
Have You Got Your Priorities Right?
Do you sometimes feel that you’re being pulled in a million directions? Do you feel like there’s just never enough time, and does your to-do list seem never-ending? Don’t worry. You’re not alone! With so much to do, it’s easy to get overwhelmed and shut down entirely. This is where a little prioritising can go a long way.
I often find that when there’s a task I would rather do, sometimes the task I need to do gets put off. Proper prioritising helps you leave the emotions out of it, so that you can get through all your tasks effectively, with the minimum effort and maximum efficiency. Here are four steps I take to manage my priorities. Hopefully they will work for you too:
- Differentiate home tasks on a different list than work tasks. This way, the list does not seem so long, and personal interests stay separate from work.
- The first step to prioritising on the right task is writing down what you need to do in order of importance and with regard to deadlines. I find this keeps me focused, especially if I follow a schedule.
- The next step is knowing when a task is complete. Even if you are a perfectionist, sometimes you just have to let go of one task and move on to the next. It is important to know what is worthy of more of your time and what just needs to get done fast.
- Finally, resist moving onto a new project until the first task is complete, no matter how tempting it may be. It’s been proven that multitasking is ineffective and time-wasting. To maximise your personal effectiveness, commit yourself to one task at a time.
All articles are copyright © Shirley Taylor. All rights reserved. This information may not be distributed, sold, publicly presented, or used in any other manner, except as described here.
Permission to reprint all or part of any article in your magazine, e-zine, website, blog or organisation newsletter is granted, as long as:
- The entire credit line below is included*.
- The website link to shirleytaylor.com is clickable (live)**.
- You send a copy, PDF, or link of the work in which the article is used when published.
This credit line must be reprinted in its entirety to use any articles by Shirley Taylor:
* Credit line:
© Shirley Taylor.
Shirley is a high-energy, high-content speaker who is passionate about motivating individuals to make a real difference in our automated world. With inspiring stories and a fun style, she engages audiences quickly, and encourages them to embrace high-touch as well as high-tech so they can connect with heart.
Shirley has been a trusted member of the professional speaking and training community for many years, and has received several awards for her services in leadership. She served as Asia Professional Speakers Singapore President 2011-12 and as Global Speakers Federation President 2017-18. She has spoken in almost 20 countries all over the world.
Author of 12 books published by international publishers, Shirley has established herself as a leading authority in workplace communication, business writing, and email. Her international bestseller Model Business Letters, Emails & Other Business Documents 7th edition has sold over half a million copies worldwide and been translated into 17 languages.
If you would like Shirley to speak at your next event, visit shirleytaylor.com.
** The website link to shirleytaylor.com must be clickable to receive permission to reprint the article.